In the article 5 Signs You Need a coach ASAP, we defined coaching as a process of moving someone from where they are to where they want to be, through encouragement, guidance and honest feedback. The coach uses guiding questions to help the coachee set goals and take the necessary steps to achieve them.
Step 1: Know what you want from the coach. What aspects of your life need attention and what outcome do you seek.
Step 2: Verify the training and certification credentials of the coach. Are they an authority in their area? What are their experience and achievements in their personal lives?
Step 3: Schedule chemistry or complimentary first session. This will assess whether the coach is a fit for what you’re looking for. In this session ask them:
- What tools they will use to help you achieve your goals?
- How much do they charge for the coaching sessions?
- Who have they coached and can you access their testimonials?
- What are the other terms of the coaching agreement!?
Step 4: Observe these four qualities in your interactions with the coach in the initial sessions.
- Do they ask questions or instruct you? A professional coach asks good questions so you can arrive at solutions not telling you what to do.
- Do they listen to you? Good coaches listen to you without interrupting.
- Are they confidential? Do they share the names and personal stories of their clients with you? If they do, then you’ll be their topic with another client.
- Do they keep time and stick to their commitments to you?
Choosing the right coach for your personality and needs is like finding the perfect house to rent or a car to buy. It involves a bit of searching and recommendations. But when you find the right one, your personal and professional life will be totally transformed.